Monday 11 July 2011

Thing 5- Time for a breather!

I have to admit that when I saw the 'thing' for this week was reflective practice, I was tempted to just scan read the post and then carry on with my other jobs!  After all, I'm far too busy to just sit and think!!  However, on reflection (pardon the pun!), I've come to recognise the importance of really thinking carefully about what I have learnt so far and what I have gained.  I also think it's important to regularly reflect on the reasons why any project is carried out, what is being achieved and should it be carried on?
So far I have enjoyed setting up and learning about blogs and have been interested to read the blogs of other people working in FE.  I've been especially interested in seeing why people are taking part-do they genuinely want to develop their skills or are they only doing it because their manager told them to!!
It has been interesting to read comments on the various networking technologies we have examined.  I (and many others!) am still at a loss as to how pushnote can be used but I have been prompted to look at some other collaborative technologies that I am hoping to make more use of during induction.  I am also hoping to explore how we can make better use of social networking and blogs to communicate with the students here at college.
I'm enjoying the cpd23 course so far and like the format of having something new to 'tackle' each week  If someone can help admin with setting up a certificate scheme to reward those who make it through the course I think that would be great-everyone loves a certificate!

2 comments:

  1. Good points. Reflection is what this is all about. We're trying new things and then reflecting on them.

    What are the other collaborative technologies you're thinking of using? Have you uncovered anything interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we already use GoogleDocs which is fine but a bit bland! I'm currently looking at ways we can make use of the wiki function on our moodle page as we are delivering much of our student induction via moodle this year. I have used EtherPad successfully in the past too with groups but this now seems to have disappeared?
    The search continues...

    ReplyDelete